Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker Review
The Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker is the perfect combination smoker, BBQ, and grill for the “beginner” smoker or for those who don’t need to feed an army every time they cook – plus, its compact design fits nicely on most patios.
Char-Broil Smokers give the outdoor chef complete control over their smoked food via fire access doors, air dampers, and a location for flavored wood chips; this three-in-one smoker, barbeque, and grill has a total of 430 sq. in. of cooking space – that’s more than enough room to cook for a family, and then some!
The separate firebox chamber is what makes this a “smoker” – connected to the side of the main chamber, the firebox is a smaller chamber where you burn your charcoal or wood fuel.
A small hole connecting the two chambers allows heat, smoke, and flavor (try Char-Broil’s flavored wood chips for a tasty treat) from inside the firebox to enter the main chamber and indirectly cook your meal to a juicy, smoky, and tender perfection.
The Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker represents a great option for the “beginner” smoker. The offset fire box allows for classic indirect cooking through the transmission of smoke, flavor, and low heat, through the cooking chamber.
The cooking chamber is covered by a 288-square-inch porcelain wire cooking grate. There is a simple door for easy ash removal as well as a convenient side shelf. As with all grills, we recommend keeping the firebox clean to help avoid flare up as well as using a grill cover to protect your investment.
What we liked
- The grill is easy to light and maintains its temperature. The grill maintains a temperature of 250 degrees with the butterfly and smoker valves open one quarter.
- For sure it burns everything completely to ashes whether it is a chuck of wood, charcoal or coal.
- For its price tag, this is a perfect smoker! It retains heat as well as any side smoker will. It is sturdy and will stand up to whatever you can fit in the pit.
- The side table is perfect for the few items you will need out like a mopBBQ tools, and sauce.
What we didn’t like
- The paint comes off. Not really a big deal because all you will need to do is buy some spray paint. And it isn’t like it just peels completely off of the grill.
- It chips in some places. More cosmetic than anything.
- Clean up isn’t as easy as it could be. You will want a small dust pan or hand broom to get the coals.
- The temperature control is rather tasking
- It is made from light materials.
You don’t get an offset smoker for a huge bargain margin, and think that it is going to be the best of the best, or even the best for that matter. What you should expect is a small smoker/grill that you can cook enough food for about 4-8 people. If you are using it for a smoker, understand that this isn’t a gas smoker or electric smoker, and that it isn’t the biggest smoker. You aren’t going to smoke an entire pig on here. It takes time and attention to smoke slowly.
With that understanding you will appreciate Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, and take it in as the solution for that need you have.
Cheap, flimsy construction. Yes. At this price point, you are getting an item made of very light weight metal. It will not be very strong. But it does not need to be a load bearing device. This device only needs to be strong enough to stay up with food in it.
Well, if you are a starter, project to cook for a number not exceeding 8 people and don’t want to spend lots of money, then this is a right option as much as it isn’t meant to last forever.